The library containing professional material is intended for use by the museum staff. In exceptional circumstances it can be accessed by researchers carrying out studies on the Petit Palais.
This facility collects, inventories and processes its holdings of approximately 15,000 printed documents and 10,000 periodicals and makes them available to the public.
The collection, linked to the works preserved in the Petit Palais, specialises in the history of world art from Ancient times to the early 20th century. It brings together numerous exhibition and permanent collection catalogues from French or foreign museums, thematic works, monographs or bibliographies, as well as annual reports from national or international museums, art journals and auction catalogues.
The museum policy on acquisitions, exchanges, partnerships and exhibit loans means that the collection can be enriched on a frequent basis. The digitisation process was launched in 2004 and is ongoing.
Old and precious books:
The museum’s collections contain old and precious books which are kept in storage. Researchers may consult them by making a substantiated request to the curators at least 15 days before the desired appointment date : firstname.lastname@example.org (or contact form)
A selection of works on the Petit Palais:
• Dessins de Chantier. La restauration du Petit Palais, par Christian Dardennes. – Paris: Paris-Musées, 2005.
• Le Petit Palais, Chef-d'oeuvre de Paris 1900. - Paris-Musées/Nicolas Chaudun, 2005.
• Revue « Connaissance des Arts ». Petit Palais, musée des Beaux-Arts de la Ville de Paris. H. S., n°268. - Paris, 2005.
• Revue « Dossier de l'Art ». Petit Palais, la rénovation et les collections. – Paris : Editions Faton, 2005.
• Petit Palais Guide. – Paris: Paris-Musées, 2005.
• Superguide, Petit Palais, musée des Beaux-Arts de la Ville de Paris. – Paris: Paris-Musées, 2005