The 19th century
Paintings, sculptures and art objects evoke the highlights of art in France, from the Restoration to the Third Republic.
The Troubadour style illustrated the lives of kings, painters and knights. This movement became popular in the decorative arts, with the cathedral style adorned with Gothic patterns.
A room devoted to Romanticism allows us to share in the literary emotions inspired by the travels of the painters who founded the movement: Géricault, Delacroix and Chassériau.
The 19th century’s interest in history, from ancient times (the prehistoric era was being discovered at the time) to recent history (the Revolution and the Empire), was so keen that it inspired a revival of subjects and styles which sometimes tended towards the pastiche (Cabanel, Tissot). Gustave Doré brought his singular and monumental vision to the Christian art revival.
The art of portraiture is presented in all its diversity, from the privacy of family life (Boilly, Gros) to the glorification of high society (Lhemann, Scheffer, De Dreux). The sculptor Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux happily rediscovered the skills of the early 18th-century portraitists to paint the likenesses of society figures in the Second Empire.
Sculpture is also represented by terracottas and plasters from the studios of Carpeaux, Carriès and Dalou. Sketches and models of the monuments commissioned for Paris offer an opportunity to rediscover the great emblems of the Republic that stand in the capital.
The realistic approach of Courbet, who has a set of major works on display in the museum, is extended in the scenes of modern life which echo the naturalistic novels of Zola.
The search for more genuine contact with nature, initiated by the Romantics, encouraged a genre that flourished free from academic rules. From the Barbizon school to Impressionism, represented by Monet, Sisley and Pissarro, pride of place was given to outdoor painters who experimented with new ways of painting, following the motif as closely as possible.
- > Benjamin-Constant, Jean-Joseph Benjamin Constant dit - Le Jour des funérailles, scène du Maroc (La Mort de l’émir)
- > Boilly - Portrait of Mademoiselle Athénaïs d’Albenas
- > Chartran - Priam asking Achilles for the return of Hector's body
- > Chauvin - Italian landscape with three knights
- > Corot - Marietta, or Roman Odalisque
- > Courbet - Courbet au chien noir
- > Courbet - Firemen running to a blaze
- > Courbet - La sieste pendant la saison des foins (montagne du Doubs)
- > Courbet - Portrait of Juliette Courbet
- > Courbet - The Sleepers
- > Courbet - Young Ladies on the Banks of the Seine (Summer)
- > Daumier - The print collector
- > de Dreux - Portrait of Mr and Mrs Mosselman and their two daughters
- > Delacroix - Combat of the Giaour and the Pasha
- > Delaroche - Portrait d'Horace Delaroche
- > Doré - L’Ascension
- > Doré - The Vale of Tears
- > Durand dit Carolus-Duran - Mademoiselle de Lancey
- > Gauguin - Old Man with a Stick
- > Géricault - Landscape with a tomb
- > Ingres - Francis I Receives the Last Breaths of Leonardo da Vinci
- > Manet - Portrait of Théodore Duret
- > Monet - Sunset on the Seine at Lavacourt, Winter Effect
- > Morot - The Good Samaritan
- > Penguilly L’Haridon - Côtes de Belleville
- > Pissarro - Le Pont Royal et le Pavillon de Flore
- > Tissot - Le départ du fils prodigue / Le retour du fils prodigue
- > Toulouse-Lautrec - Nice, on the Promenade des Anglais
- > Van Beers - Les funérailles de Charles le Bon, Comte de Flandre, célébrées à Bruges dans l’église Saint-Christophe le 22 avril 1127
- > Barrias - La Défense de Paris
- > Barrias - The first funeral
- > Barye - Eagle holding a heron
- > Carpeaux - Buste de Samuel Welles de La Valette
- > Carpeaux - Mademoiselle Fiocre
- > Carpeaux - Ugolino
- > Chatrousse - A Parisian Woman
- > Clesinger - Recumbent Bacchante
- > Dalou - Lazare Hoche
- > Dalou - Peasant’s head
- > Dalou - The Triumph of the Republic
- > Ringel d'Illzach - Portrait of Jeanne et Mrs Albert Dammouse
- > Sèvres factory, model from Dalou - The Silène mask
- > Alessandri and son - Display cabinet
- > Brocard - Mosque lamp
- > Ehrmann and Théodore Deck - Plate
- > Ernest Chaplet and Albert Dammouse - Paire de vases
- > Gauguin - Jardinière
- > Jacob Petit - Mameluke clock
- > Jacob-Desmalter - Pair of chairs from the Gothic study of the Comtesse d’Osmond
- > Lachassaigne - Vase - Van Dyck painting his first canvas
- > Poussielgue-Rusand - Ciborium
- > Rodin and Albert Carrier-Belleuse - The “Titans” Jardinière